Hello there. I'm so glad you've found me. The thing is that what you're looking at right now is an old site. I've moved everything over to my main site at Wisdom of the Moon.

If you've followed a link here looking for a tutorial, don't worry, just click on the title of the post or the link at the beginning of the post and you'll end up at the complete tutorial.

It's an extra step, I know, but totally worth it. I promise.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope to see you there!

-Wendy

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Detailed Fabric Grocery Bag Instructions

Note- Please click over to Wisdom of the Moon to read the entire post on how to make cheap and easy grocery bags.

This tutorial gives an overview of how to make a bunch of fabric grocery bags for less than 2 dollars each. (And most of that cost is in the webbing for the handles. They'd cost less than 50 cents if you use denim from old jeans.)

Note (March 09)- I've been using these same bags for just under 2 years. We use them almost every single time we go to the grocery store. And we have 3 kids at home with us, so we shop a lot. We also use them for ALL of our errands... clothes shopping, library, even the hardware store. I also wash the bags pretty often. The point it, they have been used hard. Very hard. And even though they're made of fairly thin fabric (which is kind of the point, as I need to be able to cram all of them into their bag, week after week), none of them have ever torn or ripped.

P8120008

To make these, you need access to a sewing machine, but don't even need to sew all that straight. Remember, you just need to make them prettier than the ugly plastic things you're using now. How hard can that be?

5 comments:

IHateToast said...

is that really all i have to do for those groovy corners?

(clearly a sewing noob)

asabear said...

I consider myself a moderately experienced sewer, but this technique was definitely new. I LOVE learning new things, makes the day feel complete. Thank you!

Bruntsfield-Babies said...

I tried the corners but found them a bit baggy. I didn't press them though so maybe that's why.
Another way to do groovy corners:
1. wrong side out sew both sides together.
2. fold the fabric so the bottom fold is lying along the side seam (so you've got a triangular shape).
3. Sew a seam about an inch or so from the point with the triangle point to the right. (sewing from one edge to the other to make a small triangle shape)
4. Do the same with the other corner of the base of the bag.
5. Turn inside out.
Makes quite a boxy shape but it's good for totes that are maybe going to carry papers or books.
Hope that makes sense!

jessica said...

I love it! I am a new sewer and was able to make this bag! One question... I noticed this makes the bottom smaller than the top... and I would love for the bottom to be same as top... is there any easy technique to do that?

Wendy said...

Jessica, I hadn't noticed the difference in size on the ones I made. I think the size of the bottom really adjusts itself to fit what you put in it (like mine can fit an entire huge pack of toilet paper). I guess I'm not sure if you meant the width or circumference or when laying flat or when full.

The only thing I can think of to try would be to sew the side seams not parallel to each other (angled in as it goes to the top). But, like I said, I haven't noticed this problem on mine, so I'm not sure if I'm answering your question properly.

Hope this helps.